Agenda and minutes

Partnership Committee - Thursday, 21st April, 2022 7.30 pm

Venue: The Council Chamber, The White House, Hockliffe Street, Leighton Buzzard, Beds LU7 1HD

Contact: Committee Officer  01525 631920 & Email:

Note: It may be possible to join this meeting remotely. 

No. Item



Schedule 12 of the Local Government Act 1972 requires a record be kept of the Members present and that this record form part of the minutes of the meeting. Members who cannot attend a meeting should tender apologies to the Town Clerk.


Apologies for absence were received from Councillor F Kharawala, Gennaro Borelli (LB First), Lorna Carver (CBC), and Councillor Dodwell substituted by Councillor Perham.



(i)    Under the Localism Act 2011 (sections 26-37 and Schedule 4) and in accordance with the Council’s Code of Conduct, Members are required to declare any interests which are not currently entered in the Member’s Register of Interests or if he/she has not notified the Monitoring Officer of it.


(ii)   Should any Member have a Disclosable Pecuniary Interest in an item on the agenda, the Member may not participate in consideration of that item unless a Dispensation has first been requested (in writing) and granted by the Council (see Dispensation Procedure).


No declarations of interest were made and no disclosable pecuniary interests were declared or dispensations were requested.


QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC (3 minutes per person; maximum 15 minutes)

To receive questions and statements from members of the public in respect of any item of business included in the agenda, as provided for in Standing Order No.s 3(e)(f), 3(g)(h).


A volunteer from Tiddenfoot Water Park Group spoke to raise his concerns on what was the Town Council doing to raise the profile of Leighton Buzzard culturally and environmentally.  The Town was rich in history and with the increasing population the provision of a welcome pack for new residents should be considered to inform them of local history, accessible green areas, groups and events in the area.


Members agreed and thanked the member of the public for his service as a volunteer improving the local area for use by all now and in the future.



(a)          To receive and approve as a correct record the minutes of the Partnership Committee meeting held on 10 February 2022.

(b)          To receive any updates arising from the minutes




(a)       The Committee received the draft minutes of the Partnership Committee meeting held on 10 February 2022. 


RESOLVED that the minutes of the Partnership Committee meeting held on 10 February 2022 be approved as a correct record and were signed accordingly.


(b)       Updates would be covered in the agenda.



To receive an update from Sam Caldbeck Place Programme Manager on town centre issues and to provide information on how Place Shaping will be delivered (verbal).



The Committee received an update from Sam Caldbeck, Place Programme Manager on town centre issues and place shaping.  The focus was on rejuvenation of the High Street to future proof for the future after the impact of covid. 


Members were informed that Central Bedfordshire Council had been allocated money from the Shared Prosperity Fund subject to the development and approval of an investment plan which needed to be submitted by July 2022.  In the coming weeks meetings would be set up with Central Bedfordshire Council, Leighton Linslade Town Council and councillors to look at priorities required for the town and these would be put forward for inclusion as part of a wider Central Bedfordshire plan.


Regarding the land south of the High Street, members were informed that a consultant had been appointed by Central Bedfordshire Council to look at the commercial aspects of this land with a site visit planned for May and views from Leighton-Linslade Town Council would be welcomed.  A provisional date of 4 May had been agreed and the attendance of a LLTC officer was welcomed.





Concerns were raised by members regarding the lack of communication from Assets at Central Bedfordshire Council to officers and Councillors regarding the recent sale of the land by the Post Office and whether this would affect the overall development of the land south of the High Street.    Also it was hoped a more up to date plan could be drawn up as the last masterplan was dated 2012. 


RESOLVED to note this information. 




To receive and consider CBC’s response to the submitted Project Partnership List   (verbal)



The Committee received CBC’s initial response to the Partnership Project List from Sam Caldbeck, Place Programme Manager. 


Sam Caldbeck suggested that it could be more helpful to have more detail on the Partnership Project List showing whether a project was live, costings, evidence and budgets available. CBC’s initial feedback to each point was presented and CBC will provide more detailed responses at a future meeting:


a)         To acknowledge that the Partnership Project List produced by Leighton-Linslade Town Council had been endorsed by the Partnership (Joint) Committee. Noted, although CBC was not involved in the development of the List.

b)         To advise whether the Partnership Project List could be added to the relevant information sources considered by the Planning department when determining planning applications and developing S106 planning obligations agreements in the parish. The List has been circulated to the [CBC’s] Planning South Manager.

c)         To advise whether the Partnership Project List could be added to the relevant information sources considered by S106 spending officers when developing projects for delivery in the parish relating to S106 agreements. The List had been sent to the S106 Monitoring team for circulation to the [CBC] Spending Officers. They would need to consider if /how the projects could be included into their strategies / plans.  To be included in a request for S106, projects would need to meet the CIL tests and the projects need to be costed and evidenced.

d)         To advise whether there was a formal process that must be followed at Central Bedfordshire Council for the Leighton-Linslade Partnership Project List to be formally recognised and communicated across the council and if so, what that process was and how it could be implemented. We [CBC] are looking at how to take the list forward but in the meantime we would need more detail about how real the projects are – costed and evidenced.

e)         Whether the council would wish for any additional endorsed or aspirational projects/objectives relevant to the parish to be included in the Leighton-Linslade Partnership Project List. Noted

f)          To advise the Partnership Committee and/or Town Council if any further actions were required from either body to achieve points b)-e) above and if so, to clearly set out what those actions would be. The Town Council would need to prioritise projects within the list and develop costed plans

g)         To provide comments on each of the projects listed and whether CBC supports them and would help to prioritise them. We [CBC] are looking at how to take the list forward but in the meantime we would need more detail about how real the projects are – costed and evidenced in order to provide a response at a future meeting.



To receive and consider information from Kim Owens Fundraising Manager on the proposed leisure centre to be built on land east of Leighton Buzzard (presentation)




The Committee received a presentation regarding the proposed Leighton-Linslade Leisure Centre on the eastern side of town.  The new building would replace the older Tiddenfoot Leisure Centre and provide three pools, health and fitness, flexible studios, badminton court sports hall and outdoor football pitches.  Use of Tiddenfoot would remain until the new building had been completed.


A public consultation on the proposal would start next week for 12 weeks and would be followed by consideration by the Central Bedfordshire Executive in the Autumn. If approved, the proposal would seek planning permission and subject to approval, was planned to open in late summer 2025.  Concerns were made regarding the increase in traffic going to the east of the town, parking issues on site and the provision of adequate sustainable transport links.  It was confirmed a full traffic assessment would be completed with the planning application.  Members agreed bus routes would be needed and dedicated cycling routes need to be joined up to enable safe cycling to the site. A concern was raised about the existing travel routes mentioned in planning documentation which were not open or had existing problems limiting/preventing their use. Cllrs Wallace and Harvey agreed to raise this concern with relevant CBC officers. 


There was discussion on the adjacent sports pitches being provided by the Stearn Land and Clipstone Park developments. The leisure centre proposal would incorporate changing facilities for the pitches.


Thanks were given for the presentation and the Committee looked forward to updates on the progress of the project at future meetings.


Officers were also asked to provide the update to a future Town Council meeting as not all 21 members were present.


RESOLVED to note the information.



To receive an update from Angela Perry on the Central Bedfordshire Council Youth Survey



As Angela Perry was unavailable the update on the Youth Survey would be deferred to the next meeting.



To receive and note an information report from Central Bedfordshire Council on matters affecting the locality. (attached/)



The Committee received an update report from Central Bedfordshire Council on matters relating to the parish, including information in respect of social care, health and housing, crime figures, antisocial behaviour, business rates, car parking, transport matters, community services, waste, schools, public health and services to young people.


Concerns were raised regarding Schools for the Future timescales and when parents would be able to state their thoughts on the change to a two-tier system.  Parents were nervous and unclear of future plans and it was hoped more information could be provided as soon as it was available.  


A question was also asked about the ETRO in the High Street and when the Town Council would be likely to have dialogue with the Portfolio holder following the meeting on the 1st February 2022, to discuss how to move this forward and decide what needed to be implemented.


Two councillors raised concerns regarding the cleanliness of taxis and alleyways in the town centre, as well as the condition of roads, particularly in respect of potholes and given the drive to increase sustainable travel options by encouraging cycling.


RESOLVED to note the information.



To receive verbal/written updates as applicable:

·           CBC Councillors updates.

·      LLTC Councillors updates



(a)       CBC Councillor updates – Central Bedfordshire Council had implemented ways in which the Ukrainian refugees could be helped with the provision of detailed information on the website and provision of support for refugees. Central Bedfordshire Council had also planted extra trees on green spaces within the town.


(b)       LLTC updates - No updates made.





The Committee received and considered the objectives and work plan for the municipal year 2022-2023.


The Youth Survey update would be added to the June meeting agenda and updates on the progression of the proposed Leisure Centre would be included on the work plan. 


RESOLVED to note the information.




To identify and confirm if any requested items for CBC’s attention.







To receive Committee ‘s budget financial monitoring report (attached)


The Committee received and considered the proposed budget for 2022-2023.


RESOLVED to note the report.